While in Osaka, I took a day off to help at the 2011 Japan Return Programme Nihongo Summit: Osaka. About 2 weeks later I helped out at the Tokyo Summit as well. The programme brings together students of Japanese from all over the world and put them through a very hard 1 month of intense Japanese training and cultural exchange. As a search of the link above will reveal, I was a "panelist" in the 2010 programme. The first and only from Scandinavia, so I guess I can boast a bit.

The Osaka summit was held here, in the pretty European-style Chuo-Kokaido, which is situated on a neat little island, which might be one of the few places in Osaka, that I think is relaxing. Don't get me wrong - I love Osaka - but the city is so... big. With few open or green spaces. (I don't know it that well so I might also be completely wrong.)
At the summit I had the great pleasure of meeting fellow 2010 panellists Elmira and Marta again. I missed them, and it was great to see them again.
Marta is not fond of being photographed, so I had to be sneaky. Sorry !
The panelist debating. I can't believe I was sitting at a stage like that only a year ago. I don't remember much. I was nervous, and made a lot of mistakes.
After each summit there's a party, where panelist perform for host families, sponsors, friends and the JRP staff and volunteers. Panelist are asked to wear traditional clothing. I will not post pictures of everybody, but just a few to give an impression of what it's like. This is Ahmed from Jordan.
Hanna from Ukraine.
Zhyldyzai from Kirghistan. She reminded me of last year as Elmira wore similar clothing and performed on the same instrument. I don't recall what it's called though.
Phuong from Vietnam. Adorable dress!
Timothy from Palao. I love this programme for giving me the possibility to meet people from countries all over the world. People I'm pretty sure I would have met otherwise.
Everybody sang together. We didn't do that last year. I wonder why.
The panelist usually get really close.
And have a lot of fun, even though the programme is very tight. Or maybe because it's tight.
Host family children! Cute!
Staff and old panelist volunteers after one very hard day of work.
I'll post pictures from the Tokyo summit in a separate post. I've come to the conclusion that it's better to make the posts a little shorter.













No comments:
Post a Comment